Quite often when referring to diabetes I will call it a Monster. A vial wretched thing that is horrendously obnoxious, has no idea how to react to social cues, is completely inconsiderate and is just the most ridiculously annoying thing I have ever met. It’s the beast that lives on my back. Every one handles living with this tedious illness differently. I’ve found over the years that if there isn’t just a tinge of humor surrounding what I have to go through on a daily basis then I’m going to be deeply depressed. Because the truth about type one diabetes is that you are tasked with having to keep yourself alive every single day. You are in charge of administering a drug that could potentially kill you if done wrong. Talk about pressure.
That is a lot to put on someones plate if you ask me.
So rather than being down in the dumps about this whole thing. I treat diabetes like the monster it is. I didn’t choose it. But I can choose to be in control.
I thought it would be fun to introduce you to my “friend” Diabetes through some humorous tweets and blurbs about living life with me. Enjoy!
If Diabetes Could Tweet:
- Woke up today and decided it was a good day to be high. Not because she ate anything crazy, just because I like to keep her on her toes.
- 3 am. Perfect time to wake her with a low. Let’s shoot for a 45. That’ll be fun.
- Working out? Awesome. Low blood sugar coming at you. Hope you enjoy all the carbs you’ll have to eat to bring this one back up. Food is yummy. You’re welcome.
- Running around with the family today? Perfect. I’ll give you a break and only skyrocket once. Stop and smell the roses and chug that water, sweetheart.
- It appears you are running late. I’m gonna hit you with a high, low, high combo and watch you struggle to get through the day. I love being spontaneous.
- Whoa, whoa, whoa. Dinner out with friends. Don’t forget about me. Here’s a low. You look better with sweaty makeup and shaky hands.
- Okay, okay. I’ve played hard enough. Let’s have a good day, friend. I wouldn’t want you to think I hate you or anything. You’re my buddy.
- Here’s another good day coming at you. I call this episode false hope.
- Aha! You thought you were doing so well. Back with the highs. C’mon, You know you love me. We’ve been friends for over 11 years now.
- Feeling productive? Not anymore because I just slapped you with the most debilitating low. This is fun, right? I mean, I’m having a blast!
Isn’t Diabetes just awesome. He is witty and annoying. In all honesty there isn’t anything humorous about this illness but I’d rather focus on trying to find something funny then focus on how agonizing it can be. And how there isn’t a cure just yet.
How do you deal with the gloom that can diabetes?