Hello December

I blinked and with a flash November was gone.

In my defense I have been snuggling with an adorable newborn and taking care of my little family. It has been a very hectic but beautiful time.

I thought I would finally share my sons birth story. There isn’t a whole lot to tell truthfully. On Sunday the 2nd of November I was feeling very off. My little guy wasn’t moving very much and I was having some numbness and aches in my stomach. Not quite contractions but still very uncomfortable. I called my OB’s office and spoke to the doctor on call. She suggested that with me being a type one diabetic I come into labor and delivery and get checked out. I phoned my husband who was at work and gathered myself and my six year old up and off we went to the hospital.

There they hooked me up and began monitoring me and the little man. Turns out I had ketones and was severely dehydrated. Blood pressure was fine, blood sugar was stable, and my son was starting to wake up after they made me chug a bunch of water. They checked to see if I was dilating and I was but not enough to be kept. So, after about two hours or so, they sent me home. I was 37 weeks 1 day and very disappointed.

The rest of that day/evening was spent napping and eating. Monday morning came and I had a NST (non-stress test) with my high risk OB. I woke up, ate breakfast, chugged some water, and made my way over to the office. Still feeling off and very tired despite the hours of sleep I had gotten. Again my little one was being very sleepy and not moving very much. No one seemed very concerned though. Blood pressure was fine. Blood sugar had been great, maybe lower than I would have liked, but not bad. I reminded them about the previous day and having to go in for decreased movement but still they sent me home to relax.

My husband took the day off just in case anything happened. We hung around the house and continued our normal routine. I showered, napped, and hoped everything was alright with baby. Occasionally I would feel a kick here or there but nothing close to normal.

Around ten o’clock I woke up feeling very icky. I was cramping but nothing consistent and I could feel so much pressure. Around eleven o’clock my husband was timing up the contractions and I was convincing myself that this was probably false labor. I tried to rest but suddenly I was in excruciating pain. Around one in the morning my husband was waking my daughter, grabbing our go bag, and guiding me towards the car.

We were on our way. And so was my son.

The drive there was a blur, my husband speed raced to the hospital while my daughter encouraged me to breathe. When we got there we signed in and they checked to see if I was actually in active labor. I was. By the time I got into the labor and delivery room I was dilated to a five and things progressed fast. Around three in the morning I had finally gotten my epidural. I was dilated to a seven by this point. I didn’t even get a chance to relax after that because before I knew it the doctor was there telling me to push. At 4:59 am on Tuesday, November 4th, my little guy was in my arms. Screaming. Healthy. No low blood sugar. It was amazing.

I was 37 weeks 3 days.

The best part was that I was able to maintain and monitor my own diabetes. I kept my pump and dexcom on. I let them know what my numbers were and they let me do what I had to do. The whole thing couldn’t have gone any better. I stood in the hospital til Thursday evening and then made my way home with all my family.

Here we are now almost a month later and I am so in love. The nights have been long and tiring with his constant feedings but I wouldn’t have it any other way. My daughter has taken her big sister role very seriously and helps me so much. The honeymoon phase after birth was fantastic but I am back to tweaking stuff here and there to maintain good numbers. My A1C through this pregnancy was a 6.2 and lower and there were zero complications. It was quite a journey but one I am happy I took.

To other diabetic women reading this who are considering children..don’t be afraid. It can be done and the outcome can be a happy, healthy experience.

I can’t help but smile. I hope you find a reason to as well.


5 thoughts on “Hello December

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s