Tom Hanks. Now a D member?

Tom Hanks, Welcome to the D side.

In case you aren’t familiar with the different types of diabetes here’s a quick run down:

Type one diabetes (Formerly insulin dependent diabetes or juvenile diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus that results from autoimmune destruction of insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas. The subsequent lack of insulin leads to increased blood and urine glucose. The classical symptoms are frequent urination, increased thirst, increased hunger, and weight loss. Untreated, type 1 diabetes is ultimately fatal, but the disease can be controlled with supplemental insulin. The insulin is most commonly administered by injection at periodic intervals several times per day, though other options, such as insulin pumps, exist.

Type two diabetes (Formerly non-insulin dependent diabetes or adult-onset diabetes) is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by high blood glucose in the context of insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency. This is in contrast to diabetes type one, in which there is an absolute insulin deficiency due to destruction of islet cells in the pancreas. The classic symptoms are excess thirst, frequent urination, and constant hunger. Type two diabetes makes up about 90% of cases of diabetes with the other 10% due primarily to diabetes type one and gestational diabetes. Type two is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary modification. If blood glucose levels are not adequately lowered by these measures, medications such as metformin or insulin may be needed. In those on insulin, there is typically the requirement to routinely check blood sugar levels.

To break it down, both are the bad kind, both require lots of attention and change in daily routine.

Now, I just found out about this a few minutes ago and figured this would be quite an opportunity to blog some thoughts on this whole thing. So far the celebrities who live with diabetes have been very hush, hush about this disease. Tom hanks, newly diagnosed, went on a late night talk show to connect himself to it. Which made me very happy to see. Though I would never wish diabetes, type one or two, on anyone I think that this will prove to be a wonderful example of how diabetes doesn’t have to be a death sentence.

He’s technically been living with it since the age of 36, though many factors might have contributed to this, he is still positive about his life. Still joking and being the ever charming Tom Hanks we know and love.

Diabetes can affect anyone, no matter your gender, race, or status.

I’m just hoping that Tom Hanks will use his power for good and joins the fight to raise awareness.

I wish Tom Hanks all the best in managing his diabetes.

He’s always been my favorite actor and now I think he’s just gotten a little bit sweeter.

What do you think about all this? I’d love to hear your thoughts on celebrities representing diabetes.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s